The death penalty in Bahrain: what you need to know
The Kingdom of Bahrain – an island country in the Persian Gulf – is the third smallest country in Asia behind only the Maldives and Singapore.
- Execution Method: firing squad
- On death row: 19
- Facing imminent execution: 2
- Executions last year: 3 political prisoners executed
- Torture and forced confessions
- Unfair trials
- Death penalty used as a tool of political repression
- Recent tripling of death sentences
Death Sentences Overturned
MOHAMED RAMADHAN – father of three, blindfolded, stripped, beaten with iron rods. False confession used to secure his death sentence, before it was quashed in October 2018.
What you can do to help
Bahrain: Don’t execute victims of torture
Urgent – 19 people are currently on Bahrain’s death row, many of them political prisoners. 2 have exhausted their legal appeals and could be executed at any time.