Home Secretary’s comments on torture raise more questions than they answer
December 16, 2014
Commenting on the Home Secretary’s appearance before Parliament’s Home Affairs Committee today to answer questions about UK involvement in torture and rendition, in the wake of last week’s US Senate report, Donald Campbell from human rights charity Reprieve said:
“Theresa May has confirmed that there was ‘work done’ by the Government to prevent certain evidence relating to the UK from being ‘put in’ to the Senate torture report. However, we are sadly none the wiser about who did this work, and what it entailed.
“The Home Secretary may claim such steps were only taken to protect ‘national security,’ but all too often in the past this term has been used in order to cover up embarrassment.
“It is alarming that she said she was not aware of any evidence of UK involvement in rendition and torture. Given the High Court, several Government ministers and numerous reports from victims have said differently over the past decade, it suggests she hasn’t been paying attention.
“The Home Secretary’s evidence has, if anything, raised more questions than it answers. It can only strengthen the case for a proper, independent inquiry into UK involvement in rendition and torture.”
Notes to editors