Emad Hassan released from Guantanamo after 13 years
June 15, 2015
The US government has released Emad Hassan from Guantanamo Bay, where he had been imprisoned for 13 years without charge or trial.
Emad, from Yemen, was taken to Guantanamo in 2002. In 2007, he began the first hunger strike at the prison, in protest at his detention without charge. He continued his strike up until his release on Saturday (June 13th). Throughout his 13 years of detention, the US authorities at the prison subjected Emad to a series of abuses – including, most recently, punitive force-feedings and beatings.
Commenting, Cori Crider, Strategic Director of Reprieve’s Abuses in Counter Terrorism team, and a lawyer for Emad, said:
“Oman’s decision to take men from Guantanamo is hugely welcome, and we are relieved that Emad Hassan’s terrible ordeal of being held for years despite being cleared for release is over. Yet many others still languish in Guantanamo, including British resident Shaker Aamer, who has been detained for over 13 years with neither charge nor trial, despite having been cleared for release twice by the very government that continues to detain and abuse him. The British government has said time and time again that Shaker must be returned home to his wife and their four British children in London. There is no legal – or indeed rational – reason that Shaker remains in Guantanamo – President Obama must send him home to the UK at once.”